Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Geez, people... Haven't you heard these songs before?

Apparently, in one week alone, the Beatles have already sold about another two million songs and 450,000 albums. The top album in the U.S. was "Abbey Road."

Come on, people! Why the mad rush for music that's been out for more than thirty years?

I've already written a post previously about the welcome, yet "eh, who cares" news of The Beatles finding their way into the iTunes store. But now, I have to take a step back and either admit that I was wrong, or ask the more appropriate question, "what the hell is wrong with you people?"

We've had The Beatles on CDs for quite a while. But, what, the songs are all of a sudden brand new again because a new store just happened to stock 'em? You wouldn't go and buy re-buy your television just because the new Best Buy down the street started stocking it too. All I'm saying is that I seriously doubt even 5 percent of those albums sold went to people that had not already had another copy on some other medium. To me, that's just ridiculous.

Again, nothing against The Beatles -- of course they are legends and have made amazing music.

But if you had the CD laying around somewhere and still decided to spend money for a copy from iTunes, when in less than five minutes you could have ripped it just as well, then I am bewildered by that brand of thinking. By "brand of thinking," of course, I mean "retarded."

But maybe I'm over simplifying the nature of legendary music so easily accessible around the world and from a single place. What else did could one expect?

Via AppleInsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment