Monday, December 27, 2010

Pro Tools 9 makes me wanna cry... from joy

Pro Tools 9, Avid's flagship audio production suite, has escaped its ball and chain, and it's enough to make me wanna cry.

I use Pro Tools for music production. If you've never heard of it, just know that it's the industry-standard software for any audio work. Out of the many DAWs (digital audio workstations) that I've used, there is no replacement.

The problem is, Pro Tools has always been tethered to an external audio device in order to function. And you also had only a few of those devices that were compatible. They were kinda like Apple in a way, where if you want to use OS X, then you have to buy Apple hardware. I ignored these issues with Pro Tools as much as I could, but the horrible fact remained that if I wanted to mix my project on the bus (that is a bus with wheels, not a mixer bus)... tough luck.

Eventually, I bought Pro Tools M-Powered and the cheapest, smallest USB audio interface offered by M-Audio, the FastTrack, which also required no external power. That was all I could do to stay mobile.

Thank God, Allah, Karma, or whatever... because Pro Tools 9 does away with all that crap.

Today, I finally was able to get Pro Tools 9 on my MacBook Pro, load it up, and without any external hardware at all, open any of my projects and get to work. Halla-freakin-llujah.

Again, there were no options, I felt, beyond Pro Tools. I had gotten so used to the software and achieved such a fast-paced workflow that, although other software that may have already had this sort of flexibility, it still seemed too much a sacrifice to switch. What with having to relearn a completely new setup? No thanks.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Avid for making my dreams come true. And for probably even doubling my content output. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment